The attainment of accreditations offered by professional bodies such as the Association for Project Management (APM) is increasingly seen as a recognised indicator of competence in project management. APMP is an internationally recognised knowledge based qualification (IPMA Level D) that enables individuals to demonstrate their knowledge for successful delivery of projects.
Who is the course designed for?
- Project Managers requiring formal best-practice project management training.
- Prospective work package managers, project managers or other key project personnel looking to develop their project management career skills.
- Project Managers wishing to attain a formal, and widely recognised, project management qualification.
What are the course objectives?
The key objectives of this course are:
- Appreciate business processes and lifecycle models for projects and project management.
- Use critical path analysis techniques and manage resource conflicts.
- Contribute to the development of the business case.
- Select and apply appropriate project monitoring and control methods.
- Use a systematic approach to analysing and planning a project.
- Consider and apply appropriate conflict management and negotiating techniques.
- Appreciate the project context and actively manage the project stakeholders.
- Apply work breakdown structures and map responsibilities.
- Appreciate the context and relevance of project change control processes.
- Recognise the importance of developing effective leadership skills and communication techniques.
- Prepare for the APMP examination.
What other courses are complementary to this one?
PRINCE2 Practitioner | MSP Practitioner | MS Project
What is the course approach?
This event is a mixture of input and practical sessions, delivered by an APM approved trainer. All trainers have practical experience of projects. Practical sessions are on an individual and team basis and feature throughout the event. The examination is taken on day five and the results are usually available within eight to ten weeks.
Are there any pre-requisites?
Attendees would benefit from possessing some good basic project management skills, or from attendance on the APM Introductory Certificate course. Ideally a minimum of 6 months actual experience of working on a project would also be beneficial.
Extensive event preparation materials will be provided to delegates in advance of the course. This includes the APMP Body of Knowledge 5th Edition. Approximately 10 hours preparation is required to complete the pre-course study.
What examinations are taken on the course?
APMP Certificate Exam: This exam is a three-hour closed-book essay-style paper. In this paper, candidates must answer ten from sixteen questions covering 37 topics. The pass mark is 55%.
What does the course cover?
This five-day course covers the APMP Certificate syllabus, including the following topics:
Project Management in Context - Project management; Programme management; Portfolio management; Project context; Project sponsorship; Project office
Planning and Strategy - Project success and benefits management; Stakeholder management; Project management plan; Project risk management ;Project quality management; Health, safety and environment management
Executing the Strategy - Scope management; Scheduling; Resource management; Budgeting and cost management; Change control; Earned value management; Information management and reporting; Issue management
Techniques - Requirements management; Estimating; Configuration management
Business and Commercial - Business case; Procurement
Organisation and Governance - Project Lifecycles; Handover and closeout; Project reviews; Organisation structure; Organisational roles; Methods and procedures; Governance of project management
People and Profession - Communication; Teamwork; Leadership; Conflict Management; Negotiation
The following is a list of feedback comments from customers attending recent SPOCE courses.
"Julia was fantastic and went over configuration management again and again until I finally got it!! So thank you ever so much. This will really help me in my daily working life" Rachel Cough
"Excellent Trainer/Course/Hotel Facilities - Great Knowledge and presentation skills of the trainer - very Enjoyable Course" Leanne Preuss
"Richard is a fantastic trainer and I would recommend him to anyone. Thanks!" Res Sembi
"Trainer was faultless, enthusiastic, knowledgeable, thorough etc. I would recommend collagues to attend the course with this trainer in particular" Andrew Willis
"Enjoyed the way the course was delivered with respect to interaction of delegates" Jason Bennett
"Mike was excellent. I think i'd have been worn out by about 10am on Monday if I were him" Sally Ragret
"Richard made a complex subject clear and got us up to speed in 3 days!" Paul Curtis
"The course surpassed my expectations. I'll totally recomend it to my colleagues" Marjuh Hernandez
"The trainer was outstanding, imformative, helpful, well prepared, able to tailor the course to particular requirements, and had a sense of humour!" Saminia Khan